Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tech Art Goes to Washington

It’s official! A.M.P.A.S.’ Science and Technology Council will be taking my photo series, "Tech Art" to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Museum in Washington D.C. at the end of September.

Two new images that I shot recently will be included in the show and will join the 34 prints shown at last year’s Reception. Here is a sneak preview of the new additions:

The Sci-Tech council asked if I could get a clean image of a Maltese Cross for their ongoing research and education. This important bit of engineering is the critical mechanism that puts the motion in motion picture. Thanks to Herb Farmer at USC’s Moving Picture Archive for allowing me access to this piece.


Maltese Cross


Alan Heim, a collector of rare editing equipment and all around great guy, invited me to his home to shoot some of his collection. This odd film splicer reminded me of the 60’s “Rat Fink” style gear shifters found on muscle cars. The Robot II actually won a Technical Achievement Oscar in 1952 and some claim that it is the fastest film splicer in the world. Who knew?


Robot II


I’m very, VERY excited about this exhibit. More updates as I get them.

3 comments:

Chris Battle said...

Awesome, man! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT achievement!!!! You made it to Washington! Next the Smithsonian.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.